To make the caramel, bring the water, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan. Continue boiling until the mixture turns an amber brown color. Finish the sauce as directed in the recipe below adding the orange segments while the sauce is still warm.
|Caramel Blood Oranges|
- 8 small Blood Oranges or a mix of Cara Cara
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 t. light corn syrup
- fresh mint chopped, or fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Cut the top and bottom off the oranges so they stand up.
- Cut off the peel removing as much of the pith (white part) as possible.
- Cut into slices crosswise.
- Place 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Raise the heat to high and boil, swirling the pan occasionally until it turns a deep amber brown, 7-10 minutes.
- Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Take off heat and very carefully add 1/4 cup water to the caramel.
- Stand back as it will bubble up.
- Set the saucepan over low heat and cook stirring, until the caramel dissolves and is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and add the orange segments and salt to the pan and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped mint or fresh thyme leaves.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight before serving.