- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 T. cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 1-1/4 cup bottled pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup creme de cassis, pomegranate liqueur, or fruit dessert wine (see note)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a medium pot, whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Once it reaches the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and add the pomegranate juice, liqueur, or dessert wine and lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill the mixture for at least one hour.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer for several hours, or overnight.
Do not eliminate or substitute the alcohol in this recipe. It keeps the consistency of the gelato smooth and creamy. I used chambord liqueur with very good results.